Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Decorating with A Branch Tree and Fabric Eggs

I guess the best I can say is that there was no snow today, but it sure was cool, windy and not very welcoming outdoors...well, the sun did come out late afternoon.   Okay, I guess it is better than the northeast and midwest with their snow...

BRANCH TREE:
I wanted to make something that I could use to hang my swaps on as well as other things.   So, I decided on a branch tree of sorts.  First of all, let me tell you, there are not many usable branches around here but I did manage to find a few.  

I used an entire small container of plaster of paris, a small white plastic container, water, an old wooden spoon, a large plastic bucket (the type used for kitty litter), some empty recycle items and old rags.   A weird list, right?  

First, I trimmed the branches to fit.   Next I added water to the plaster of paris (in the container which I was going to use to hold the branches) and stirred until smooth.   After realizing that the branches would not stay in place,  I placed that bucket in the larger bucket and re-added the branches using the recycle items and old rags to hold the branches where I wanted them.  This I let dry for several hours.

And this is what it looks like with the plaster of paris solid...

When the wind dies down, I will spray all the branches white.   Also, I plan on decorating the bucket and adding natural items inside the bucket - like pinecones and rocks, etc.   By the way, the bucket is heavy and will not tip over.

FABRIC EGGS:
In celebration of spring, I wanted to add some fabric eggs to my trees.  First I cut out the pieces - four per egg...

Next, I machine sewed two pieces together in a long single line - the same way I sew quilt pieces together.   Saves time.   You do not have to start and stop, just add the pieces as you sew...

After they were all sewn together, I clipped the seam allowance about every half inch, turned and finger pressed the pieces...

I then sewed the two halves together on the machine on one side after which I clipped the seam and turned right side out.

I hand sewed the final seam, stopping about halfway and adding the fiberfill before completing the seam...

The fun part is next.   Decorating with trim and flowers.   I used both glue and needle and thread to attach the decorations.  Here are the three I have finished...



Well, that's all for today...
Thanks for visiting...
See you tomorrow...