Thursday, September 11, 2014

WINTERSET, IOWA AND ONE BRIDGE

It was supposed to be a nice day today.   I guess the fact that it wasn't pouring down rain counts as nice!!!   Check out this sky...

At any rate, I did make it to Winterset after a short trip to a Verison Store for a charger for my hot spot.   Once again,  I lost it...got to stop doing that...

The town is really nice.   It reminded me of a small town in Minnesota where I used to live except the buildings in Winterset were really old.   The business district surrounds a court house which is under repair...

The businesses are in old buildings on all four sides of the Court House Square...

I noticed only a couple store fronts available for rent.   Check out the Ben Franklin Store above!

This is the Fons and Porter Store...


Not large, very long and narrow, but I understand that there are many more places that house the magazine, photography and tv offices for the Fons and Porter business.

Did you know that there is only 113 days left till Christmas?   I received an email about the 100 days countdown till Christmas which begins shortly.   Scary, huh?

I saw a pattern for a covered bridge at the Fons and Porter Store as well as a finished one.   I liked it, so, I purchased the fabric to use as well as the pattern.

I think this will be fun to make and I have to say that I love the fabric...

After visiting the store, I stopped for lunch at a diner called Northside (opposite of the Fons and Porter Store).   The food was great.  

A long, narrow store, just like the Fons and Porter Store, with the fountain on one side and a line of booths on the other.   And look at this...
It was established in 1876!!!

I also saw one covered bridge.   The Cutler-Donnahoe Covered Bridge (1870) located in the city park...



Tomorrow, I will check out the rest of the bridges as well as more shots of Winterset.

When I got home, Chip and Dale wanted to go out even in the misty air...
Guess cabin fever struck them...

That's all for today...
Thanks for visiting...
See you tomorrow...