Wednesday, October 22, 2014

COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG

Life has been very busy lately with visits from family and lots of things to do like going to Busch Gardens (I walked 6.92 miles that day.) and the historic sites in this area.

For instance, Colonial Williamsburg is much larger with more things to explore that I realized. I thought one day would be enough...nope. Going to go back for another full day. I began at the Visitor Center and took the footbridge across the roads to the Revolutionary City, as it is called.

The first place I encountered was the Great Hopes Plantation with several buildings...


Livestock...

And vegetable gardens....

After a meandering walk on the path, the next place was the Governor's Palace. There is a tour of both the Palace and the Gardens (included with the ticket purchase) which give a lot of history about how folks lived.

The gardens...


Courtyard with kitchen...

Salt cellar, curing house and behind, the ice house...

Typical transportation of the time...

I explored the brick yard with demonstrations on how bricks were made...


The Courthouse with the stockades...

And the Everard House...

As I said, there's a lot more to explore and I will be doing that on Friday.   Tomorrow, Jamestown!

I just had to stop at the bookstore in the Visitor's Center...

And, of course, I found a couple books to purchase...

The Lost Arts has a ton of different things from making Birch Beer to making simple brooms!  Interesting reading.   Good point - both were on sale for half price!

There's a new weekly prompt posted...check it out.

Well, I am back to watching the rain - yes, it is raining today.  

Thanks for visiting...
Talk to you tomorrow...