Monday, December 22, 2014

STILL HERE

Can you believe that Christmas is only a few days away and that Hanukkah has already begun?   Well, time is going pretty fast.  I did get my packages mailed but not my cards.

And no, I haven't found an apartment yet.   Why?   Well, I found out that I am running into an interesting situation.   I am retired as most of you know.   And even though I am financially and credit-wise a good risk, my age seems to be against me.   I find that frustrating.

Like many boomers, I worked and marched against racial discrimination and gender discrimination (basically women's rights).   I never thought I was going to have to deal with age discrimination.   When I found out about it (Thanks to someone who finally told me why I was having a problem.) I was amazed and a bit depressed.

I'm over that now and ready to continue the search...make that after Christmas...with renewed vigor and a lot more savvy.  

In a way, I do understand.   It's very hard to evict a senior citizen in NYC even when they haven't paid.   It's also hard to raise the rent on seniors.   So that makes it hard on landlords. The problem is that many landlords make sweeping assessments on everyone based only on a few.

Well, I'll let you know how things go after Christmas.   Until then, I hope all of you find happiness and comfort celebrating your holidays with family and friends.

Talk to you soon...
Thanks for stopping in...