Wednesday, December 3, 2014

YESTERDAY'S ADVENTURE

Yes, I did make it in yesterday but after spending the day walking in cold, rainy weather and getting home rather late, I didn't manage to post a blog.   And, of course, my phone died half way through the day...even though I carried two charged external batteries with me!

I stopped again at the Apple Store and have now ordered a new phone.   And, although many folks think I'm crazy, I ordered the 6Plus.   Remember, I watch a lot of tv on my 4S iPhone, so this will be an improvement.

And, I think I will use it more for reading.   I stopped using the 4S because I liked my old iPad better except that it is too big (first generation) and heavy to carry around.   So, I have a Kindle (the basic model) which I carry with me.   If I get the 6Plus, I can eliminate that and just use my iPhone.

Grand Central is all decked out for the holidays...

I guess it's hard to see but there are twelve foot wreaths and lots of lights all over.   By the way, do you know about the whispering corner in GCS?

There are four corners like the above one, many, many feet apart.   If you stand in one corner and the person you are talking to stands diagonally across in that corner, you can hear each other perfectly well when you just whisper!   And, yes, I tried it with one of my children just to see if it actually worked.   Quite frankly, I was totally surprised that it did...but it does.

So my route took me up both the east and west sides of Central Park.   I left Grand Central Station on the six and went up to 96th street.   I meandered down the area to 86th street.   There were a few places I didn't want to live in like the large apartment buildings but other than that, it was fine.  

Then I went back to Grand Central Station (via subway again), took the shuttle to Times Square and then, after some coffee at Times Square...

I took the 1 up to 102nd street, this time on the west side, and meandered down several blocks.   Again, a nice area.   A bit tamer than the east side, but okay.

I saw several garden centers with trees on the sidewalks...


And the trees were beautiful!

So, after all that walking (not quite seven miles but just shy of six), I went to Rock Center to see how the tree was doing.   The city is also decked out...


Radio City Music Hall had a tree but not their usual animated Wooden Soldiers which I love to watch as they all fall down.

Turned the corner at Rock Center and the tree had lights, but not turned on...

The place was set up for the telecast of the tree lighting...

This is what it looks like from the other side...


And here's a close-up of an angel...

And, of course, St. Pat's across the street...

The windows at Saks of Fifth Avenue were decorated for the season.   I would love to share some pictures, but by this time, my phone was dead.

I did a bit of Christmas Shopping on my way (walking) to Grand Central Station.   Thank goodness for the Hemsley Building walk-through.   It was raining quite hard and I was able to get out of the downpour for a block at least.

And if anyone is still asking...YES, I still love the city and all the people and can't wait to get there...

Thanks for visiting...
Talk to you later...