Tuesday, January 13, 2015

FIRST ADVENTURE - WONDERS OF LIFE

When I was in high school (eons ago) it was typical for students to put on plays and one of the most popular was 'Our Town' by Thornton Wilder.   Through my youthful, 'I can conquer the world' mind, I didn't really comprehend the true meaning of the play.   I probably understood it on a superficial level, but it's taken decades to fully grasp and embrace the meaning.

To remind you, the play is about a young woman, Emily, who dies in childbirth.   She desperately wants to visit her home town of Grover's Corners one last time.   But sadly she discovers how few people treasure the wonder of everyday, ordinary moments in their lives.

I think we are all guilty of doing that...I know I am.  I simply let those moments fly by unacknowledged.   You know, things like drinking a good cup of coffee, smelling new mown grass, feeling a snowflake on my cheek, listening to birds singing, a smile from a stranger, reading a book, cooking a meal, a flower, etc., etc., etc.


Being present to the moment and acknowledging the everyday, ordinary wonders of life is one of my 'adventures' this year.   (I like the idea of adventures rather than goals.)   Each day offers a multitude of wonders and I want to make sure that I take notice.

So every day, I will select one special but ordinary moment and write it down.   I may use as few words as 'a bird singing'; or, I may wind up writing the entire scenario down to describe an event. My hope is that this 'adventure' will encourage me to be more present to each moment of my life.

It will be like the summers I studied with a colored pencil artist.   Knowing that I was drawing a lot, I was always looking for unique 'pictures' and because of that, I saw details in landscapes that I would normally pass right over.

I encourage you to think about taking notice of your everyday, ordinary moments...to be truly present to your life.   And if it helps, keep a journal, diary, or something to make note of at least one of those daily events.   You can keep it as simple as reminding yourself of the moment before you go to sleep. Don't think of this as another thing to add to your to-do list. Rather, think of it as a way to appreciate all the moments of your life.

On another note - it's cold.   The high is 19 and the low is 7.  I know it's not as bad as other places, but living in Duchess and heating with propane presents interesting possibilities like filling up my tanks weekly.   On the other hand, I'm thankful that I can heat Duchess and continue to live in her even in the winter.

I was hoping the Oregon Ducks would win the first college football championship but they just could not handle the Buckeyes.  Hats off to Ohio State...they are a great team.

Thanks for stopping by...
Talk to you later...