Thursday, April 23, 2015

WEATHER, LUNCH, SUBWAYS AND CREATING

The weather certainly is changeable around here...I guess around everywhere.   I got dressed to go out thinking it was warm only to realize that I needed a jacket...a heavy one...which I didn't wear.  I should have known that it was cold because the heat was on in the apartment but that fact just sailed right on by my brain.  As I was inside most of the time, I was okay, but if it had been a long walking day, I would have been cold.   I only walked three miles today, but I did climb thirteen flights of stairs.

I did go to the Bronx for lunch - fresh grilled tuna and fresh asparagus.   Very, very good.   I am constantly impressed by the kids in the program.   I also learned one thing today, the restaurant is open to the public and it is the only one in the area that cooks fresh food .   On the way in, I met policemen who was carrying out a big order.  Found out that this is normal.   All sorts of folks stop by to pick up food which is reasonably priced, fresh and, as I said, very good.

On another matter, if you are familiar with the subways in New York City, you will know that folks come on the subway soliciting money.   I always have dollar bills in an outside pocket to give the them. And yes, I know that some folks think this is a bad idea, but if I have the money, I'll share it...no questions asked.

But one thing really struck me today.   In all the years I have ridden the subway, I realized that not one time was the person asking for help a woman.   It's always, always been men.   What's interesting about that is that there are more women in poverty than men.   It's just an interesting observation that I'm curious about.

I have been doodling a bit.   Here's a finished piece...

And here's one in progress...

The background is acrylic paint and the doodling is done with permanent prismacolor markers. Nothing great to write home about but at least I am getting back into the grove of just plain creating.

I am still working on my fabric landscape.   I have the buildings finished - I outlined each element like the windows and the snow with black thread first.   I'm now ready to apply the large pieces to the background.

Thanks for dropping in this evening...
Talk to you tomorrow...