Monday, May 18, 2015

BUSY WEEKEND AND FABRIC LANDSCAPE

How was your weekend?   Busy?   Relaxing?   A mix of both?   Mine was busy, busy, busy!   Saturday I did get up to Beacon to get my summer clothes which were still in Duchess.   The traffic getting out of the city was really, really heavy.   (And yes, I still love living here even with that type of traffic.)

Sunday I went to see several apartments with my son.   I think he will get his wish of finding an apartment on the beach.  Yes, folks, there is a beach in New York City.   He's looking at Far Rock-a-way which is on the ocean with a beautiful, long, very long stretch of beautiful beach.
This photo was taken at Far Rock-a-way!   When I'm out there, I am always looking down - for shells.

I got my grocery shopping done and then I had fun playing with fabric.   Remember the fabric that I choose...

I did add three more pieces to my selection.   And this is what I made...

I used the raw edge technique.   I cut out each strip creating mountains in the background and then small hills and valley's in the foreground including some flowers and a lake.   I sewed the top of each piece with a straight stitch about 1/4th inch from the edge.  

Next, I want to fray each seam edge to give the piece a softer look.   I have auditioned several pieces of fabric for the borders and this is what I have chosen...
The 'red fabric' is more like the deep pink in the middle of the flower in the bottom right edge of the landscape.  I did try some green fabric instead of blue, but the blue won out.   So, next I will be cutting and sewing the borders on and then adding the backing and a low loft batting.   And finally, quilting the landscape.

I already have fabric picked out for my next project...

I am planning to make a vase out of the peacock feather fabric and then fussy cut flowers out of the top pieces of fabric.   Still haven't decided on a background yet.   I am considering a small print light blue or light green fabric.  Which do you think would work best?

Oh, and I am still working on the winder landscape...I'll share that later this week.

I also worked on some journal pages.   This was the background...

And this is what I have done so far...
I used fabric scraps including part of the panels I purchased at The City Quilter.  I didn't realize how much the gold paint marks resemble snakes...hmmmm.   I am not sure if this one is done or not but I think I will put it aside for a while and then come back to it.

The other one is still a work in progress.  
I have just begun working on this one.   It needs a lot more work but I think I finally ran out of steam this weekend.

Told you it was a busy, busy, busy weekend.   But a lot of fun!

There's a new weekly journal prompt posted...
Thanks for dropping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...