Tuesday, May 19, 2015

LANDSCAPE BORDERS, A TOOTHBRUSH and FOG

I went for a four mile walk today on the water's edge and the fog bank was really thick and moving up the harbor.   Take a look at the VNBridge...

As I was sitting down on one of the benches, I heard a ship horn...
...but no ship.

Again the horn...
...is that a ship?

And another blast...
...there's an outline!

Now the blasts were coming regularly...
...and finally a ship!!!

Like I said, the fog bank was really dense.

I added the borders to my landscape...

The outer red border will be very thin...about 3/8 inch.   And I am glad that I stayed with the blue inner border because it not only brought out the blue, but it also highlighted the green.   Next, I will add the batting and back and have fun quilting on my machine.

That thing sticking out at the top of the piece is a brand new soft toothbrush.   Why a toothbrush you ask?   Well, the landscape was done with raw edges and I want to brush the edges to make them ravel.   It makes for a softer feeling picture.   And it needs to be done before I quilt it.   So every time I walk by the landscape, I take the toothbrush and spend a few minutes, brushing the fabric raw edges.   Works like a charm.

I also began cutting out flowers.   I really need to look for some different colored flowers in my stash. But, as I was cutting them out, I decided to try them on the peacock feather fabric which really does read darker than the picture below.
I was thinking that a darker background may be better than a lighter one.   Of course, then I would need to find a different fabric for the vase.    But to me the darker background would make the piece more dramatic.   What do you think?

I also worked some more on my latest journal page...

I think this one is done for now.  I'll add it to my journal/picture wall.  

I don't know if you display any of your work, but I do.   When I moved into my studio/apartment, I decided to display my work only in the main room.   It's an affirmation that what I create is worth considering and showing others.   I also display my fabric creations.   Lately, I have been wondering why it took me so long to appreciate my own work.   Hmmm.   Guess age does have it's benefits!!!

Thanks for dropping in...
Talk to you tomorrow...