Saturday, May 30, 2015

TRIP TO CITY QUILTER...

I made it to City Quilter to check out what was available for helping me with the friction problem while quilting.   I found a mat...

It seems to work but I want to really try it out on a complete piece...i.e, my bouquet wall hanging.   It wasn't exactly cheap...

I debated for about 20 seconds and as it was the last one they had in stock, I snapped it up quickly before anyone else decided they needed one.   It may be a bit more expensive than I originally thought but if it works, that's okay with me.   I find straight line quilting not very exciting.

Here's what it looks like on my sewing machine...

Again, I wish it was larger but at the same time, I only need to reduce the friction right under the needle so hopefully it will work well.   As I said, I'll try quilting the bouquet wall hanging next week and let you know.

Of course, I can never get out of City Quilter without purchasing several things.   I am on a stash reducing binge so not too much fabric but that doesn't mean no fabric, after all...

The fabric was only $2 each...a long fat quarter.   Of course, I had to pick up the latest copy of Art Quilting Studio.   I think it is my favorite quilting magazine.   That may be because I no longer make large, or small, quilts.   I mostly do wall hangings in an art style.

I saw the author of the Happy Villages book show her technique on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Timms.   It looked like so much fun that I wanted to try it out but I needed a little more explanation...thus the book.

I quickly finished the landscape wall hanging...

What did I learn?   First of all, I need to increase the speed of the sewing machine when doodling or meandering - my way of quilting.   Next, I need to lower the speed, at least for now, when I do stitch in the ditch.   Remember, I am not using a foot petal so my sewing technique is a bit different.

Well, I hope your weekend is going well and that you are enjoying a restful day.  
Thank's for dropping in...
Talk to you next week...