Monday, June 8, 2015

DOODLE CASE

WELL, IT'S MONDAY AGAIN.   CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE LAST WEEK WENT!

Not sure what happened to one of last week's posts.   I wrote it, I published it but it's nowhere to be found!   Do you suppose I actually did dream about posting it?    I really was positive I posted four times last week...a mystery...

Okay, so this weekend I had fun making this...

I am going on an extended vacation at the end of the month and I thought I would whip up some things to take along like this doodle case.   Above is the front.   By the way, does anyone see my mistake?   I didn't until I photographed it!

This is the back...
If you look you can see that I used an industrial size hook and eye to fasten it.

And here is the inside...

And to keep the pens secured...

It was really easy to make.   First, I choose the drawing paper pad I wanted to use...in this case, a 6 by 8 inch pad.   I took a piece of fabric twice the height plus three inches and double the width plus three inches.  

I also cut another piece which I folded in half length wise to make the pocket.   It was actually the same width and the same height as the outer piece when it was folded in half.  I first sewed the pocket only to the bottom half of the piece of fabric that made the outside of the case making sure that the folded side was the top of the pocket.

I then folded the entire piece in half with the right sides facing each other.   I cut and pinned a piece of low loft batting the same size as the folded piece to one side and sewed around the edges leaving about a three inch gap on one side.

After pulling the case inside out so the right sides were on the outside, I trimmed off most of the batting around the edges as well as a great deal of the fabric around each corner.   Using a wooden stick, I carefully pushed out all four sides and then pressed the entire case.  

After pinning the side closed, I sewed around the entire edge of the case.   The flap to cover the pens was a piece of fabric the right size to fit in the pocket and cover the pens.   After hemming all four sides, I simply sewed the flap to the case right about the pocket.   I also sewed on the trim making sure that it did not sew the pocket closed and added a large hook and eye to secure.

It probably took more time to write up the instructions than to actually sew the doodle case.   By the way, did you catch my mistake?   The fabric is upside down.   No problem, I will still be using it on my vacation.

I even had time to make a few doodles...


Next project is a case for my watercolor supplies which include a watercolor tablet, a travel watercolor case, some small spray bottles and a few brushes.

Still wondering where my post is...I'll have to figure that one out later.

Thanks for dropping in...
Talk to you tomorrow...