Tuesday, June 2, 2015

MAKING FABRIC BOOK COVERS

I wanted to make some fabric covered book/journal covers inexpensively which means the first thing I needed was the basic material.   I tried some used file folders but they were not stiff enough.

So, looking around, I decided that the box the kitty litter came in was strong enough.   After taking it apart, I was able to make several sets.   Although I used an cutting tool, it did take me quite a while.   Here's what I was able to cut out...

Using a spray adhesive I attached left over pieces of low loft batting...

Double thickness...

Using glue, I attached the fabric...



For a decorative touch, I added large rickrack to each corner...

To even out the inside of the cover, I glued a piece of laminated wall paper trim cut to size...

before adding the fabric to the inside cover.   I then cut a small rectangle, folded and glued all four sides to make finish edges and then glued the sides and bottom to the inside cover to make a pocket...

I used a thick tacky glue in a bottle to make this cover.  A very inexpensive trick I learned to keep it flowing involved using a toilet paper roll...

The only caution is if there is an extended period of time between uses, place the cap on the bottle.  Guess how I learned that?

It was another cold, rainy day...didn't make it to the store once again.   I not only wore a sweatshirt today, I added a vest...the heat is off and it was quite cool in the apartment.

I played around with water color some more...

No, I am not good but as I told a friend, I don't want to perfect my technique, I just want to have fun painting.   Yes, there are times to practice (Remember my practice pieces in quilting.) but there are also times to just have fun and be happy with the experience.   This is where I'm at with watercolor.   I just want to have fun.

Know what I forgot to do?   The Monthly Thought and Weekly Journal Prompt.   Sorry about that, but I did post them today.

Thanks for visiting...
Talk to you tomorrow...