Monday, March 7, 2016

THOUGHTFUL ARTICLE!!!

Have you ever read, heard or seen something that caught you totally off guard?   Something that surprised you, frustrated you, made you a little mad, and then thinking about it, made perfect sense even if you didn't like it?

Well, that's what happened to me this morning and I am still, at 10pm, thinking about it.  What did I read?   It's an article by Joshua Becker over at Becoming Minimalist called 'When Saying You Want to Change Is Not Enough'.   It's today's post.

I have walked and thought about it, driven and, well, if you've ever driven on the side streets in Brooklyn during rush hour you don't really think about anything else!!!   That is, unless you want to sideswipe someone's double (or triple) parked car!!!

But you get the picture.   How many of us say we want to...oh, lose weight, get in better shape, write that novel, get organized, etc., but it doesn't really happen?   Yes, there can be mitigating circumstances, but the fact is, if we really wanted it badly enough, we would do it. And that may mean that we don't really want it, we just say we do but it's not a priority.

Thinking about it, I realize that in my case, it's probably true.   Yes, I want to lose weight, get in better shape, etc. but I am always fighting against it.   For instance, I really don't like to work out.  I like to walk or ride my bike once I am doing it, but actually getting to that place of doing it is like pulling teeth.   And if you knew my fear of the dentist you would understand.

I think what frustrated me and made me a bit mad was that I recognized the truth in that statement.  I have to really do more than just say it...I have to really want it and then do whatever is necessary to do it!

So maybe I have to step back and think about things a bit more.   Maybe what I say I want is not what I really want?   Perhaps I am only saying it because, oh, maybe it's what's expected, or it's what other people think I should want, or...whatever.

Learning to figure out what you really want isn't always easy.   I remember when I went to college, math, physics and engineering were what was expected of and, if I'm honest, by me.   But what I really wanted was to learn about people and art.

I'm still not sure where I'm going with this but I do know that I have to stop and really think about things.   And then decide what I want to do and actually do it!  

By the way the first of the Strathmore Artist Paper online free workshops began today.   This one is Sketchbook Fury.   Also, don't forget the free MOMA photography online class at Coursera.

Tomorrow I hope to get to the Bronx for lunch.   Weather is great and I am looking forward to it.   This week is interesting...Monday-home, Tuesday-out, Wednesday-home, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday-out.  Looks busy.

Thanks for dropping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...