Friday, April 29, 2016

ON A 'FIG' WILD GOOSE CHASE, BIKE TOUR, WEEKEND PLANS

'FIG' WILD GOOD CHASE!!!
Today, I was bound and determined to find the salami shop and purchase fig salami.   By the way, the ingredients for their fig salami is figs...no meat.   First out to their production shop.   Found the address in a very industrial part of Long Island City.

It took quite a while to get there because the most direct route, the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) was crowded and there were several work areas.   It was much faster on the way back!

So, I got to the industrial area, amidst giant trucks all double and triple parked with warehouses towering over everything.   But no Charlito Cocina.  I did check out the deli in the area but no luck...

Well, I decided that the next best thing is to find shops that carry the product.   Off to the first cheese shop in Greenpoint.   Yes, they carried Charlito's Cocina salami but they were out of fig salami.   They did have truffle salami.   So, I purchased that plus some exquisite cheese to go with it.

On to a meat shop in Williamsburg.   Nope, they didn't carry the fig salami.   As a matter of fact, they are now making their own.   Looked good, but I really wanted the fig salami.

Next, on to DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) to check out two more specialty grocery stores.   One did not have any in stock.   The other had some of their salami but NOT THE FIG SALAMI!!!

Okay, at that point I said enough.   You have to remember, driving in New York City takes a lot more time than most other places.   This little trip took about four and a half hours.

So, when I got home, I got on my computer and ordered my fig salami along with a Chorizo Seco, dry cured salami, and a Cerveza Seca Beer dry cured salami.   I will let you know how they taste when I get them!!!

Yes, it was a wild goose chase in a way, but I discovered two really neat areas of Brooklyn to explore later on.   I can't way to get back to DUMBO.  The shops in that area were really unique.

One shop I haven't found on NYC is a place to get specialty coffee.   Not a coffee cafe like Starbucks, but a place to purchase beans to make coffee at home.   Any suggestions?  Or should I order that also?

BIKE TOUR
It has been overcast all day, and a very cold wind blowing off the water.   I think the high was in the very low 50's.   I did manage to walk a couple more miles today.   My total for the week is 11 miles.   I will definitely get to my 12 mile goal this weekend.

The big Five Boro Bike Tour is this Sunday, so where ever I go, it will be on foot or via the subway. The Tour begins in Staten Island, over the Varrezano-Narrows Bridge (See picture),

(Remember, this bridge is only a few blocks from my place.) through the Bay Ridge area and unto Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan.   It's a forty mile tour and all the streets on the tour have been closed throughout the city to accommodate the bikers.

WEEKEND PLANS
So what are your plans for the weekend?   I plan to enjoy my Saturday PBS cooking, crafting, DIY shows as well as the mystery shows in the evening.   And while I am watching, I will be working on some art quilts.   And maybe put on a pot of black-eyed peas.

Last week I saw an ad announcing that coming soon the last season of 'Lewis" will be televised.   My heart just sank.   I love that show and the thought that there will be no more is really sad.

Remember, it began first with Inspector Morse with Lewis as the side-kick. Then it became Lewis as the lead inspector with Hathaway as the side-kick.   Now Lewis is retired but helping out Inspector Hathaway. I'm hoping that maybe they will continue on with Inspector Hathaway. Anyone else love that show?

Well, I hope that you all have a great weekend.  
Talk to you next week...
MAY!!!  Sunday is the first of MAY!!!   Can you believe it?