Friday, July 15, 2016

WHERE BLOGGERS CREATE 2016

Well, the last time I joined 'Where Bloggers Create' was 2014 and I was traveling around the nation with Lady J and Duchess.   I brought everything I needed with me and probably more than I needed. As a result, Duchess weighed more than the 5500 pounds that Lady J was rated to pull.   End result? A new engine for Lady J!

But I am now in an apartment in New York City...Brooklyn...the Bay Ridge area on Shore Road so I can walk out the door of the apartment complex cross the street and be in a park that overlooks the harbor as well as the Verrazano Bridge connecting Brooklyn and Staten Island.

My apartment is a one bedroom...I am still hoping for a studio sometime.   I decided that instead of a studio in my living room area, I would have a sitting area in my studio.   The change in attitude made all the difference for me.

So here are pictures of the overall studio, first from the dining/hallway and second from the sitting area...


And this is where I sit to crochet, do handwork, read, etc...
The chair is really old and needs to be recovered but I still haven't gotten around to it.   And wouldn't you know it, premade slipcovers for wingbacks do not include this style!!!  (Well, unless I want to take out a loan to pay for it!!!)

So now that you have seen the overall view how about some close-ups.   The tables/desk/work area is made up of three folding plastic tables, roughly about 24" by 48" each.   I used a heavy duty painters cloth and adhesive hook and loop tape to block the view.  I did sew the tape unto the cloth but just used the adhesive part on the tables and it is holding up well.

Under the table I have several drawers on rollers.  The aqua pair have fabric and fabric works in progress...

Although not a drawer, the container sits on the two bars (one from each table) holds my extensive collection of cords and inside is my batting...

These contain my adhesives, tools, miscellaneous art things...

This set of drawers is mainly full of papers for collage...

My sewing machine sits on an old student desk that I picked up (along with the chair) for $20 bucks. I can sew on the tables but this is much firmer.   The small set of drawers contain sewing as well as sculpture equipment...

And I use this space right next to the sewing machine to do my fabric work...

Of course, the computer is one of my major tools and that I keep next to the fabric area...

Because it's set up this way, I keep a couple baskets behind the computer to hold my current and/or latest small works...

Like my Art Tag Challenge (which I am behind on...)

Or, my ZenDoodle Challenge...

Or, some of my handmade books...

This is where I do my drawings/paintings and collage work, although I do have an easel if I am really into painting...

I keep my favorite pens, gel pens, markers and pencils out all the time if an inspiration suddenly appears in my mind.

I also keep my colored pencils on the table.   I made this container when I went on a trip and wanted something to keep my pencils in.   It works like a charm...


I do believe in displaying my work...like one of the first paintings I have every done (in Grandma Moses style)...and no it's not perfect, but I like it...

Or some of my colored pencils drawings...

I have two shelves in my studio area...

The top of the shelves along with the shelf furthest away contain a variety of fabric items and/or paper.  The rolling cart contains more sewing equipment and resources like thread...

The fabric on the shelf is mostly small pieces...fat quarters...of fabric which I use to create my fabric pictures which I really think is my very favorite medium to work with...

I do have lots and lots of fabric pictures which I alternate hanging in the apartment...


On the back wall, I have a dresser with six drawers topped by a knick knack shelf that my dad made eons ago, both, of course filled with art items.   I also have my copier/printer on the dresser as well as my Big Shot for cutting out fabric and paper...


Well, that's my studio, folks.   I dabble in just about everything but am narrowing it down to fabric art and drawing slowly.   But it sure is fun to try out new things.   Thanks for spending some time here and come back and visit my blog.

I have new things planned for the fall.   Check it out, you may find you enjoy it...