Thursday, October 27, 2016

GRANDMA MOSES, FALL FOLIAGE & GRANDMOTHERS

Well, it's been longer than I wanted between posts.  I drove up to Vermont on Monday to spend a day or two.  There was some beautiful color on the Hutchinson and Merritt Parkways.

Connecticut and Massachusetts held beautiful colorful panoramas also. (I took back roads rather than interstates.)  The red was gone in Vermont, but, what that loss translated into was seeing the beautiful rusts and yellows with some orange sprinkled in.

Unfortunately, I could not get enough wifi anywhere (And I tried several places.) to post anything.  I couldn't even post a sentence or two.

One of the reasons I always go to Vermont, especially Bennington, is to visit the Bennington Museum to get my Grandma Moses 'fix' and see the 'Dear Jane Quilt'.  Well, I missed the quilt as the museum only displays it for one month and that month ended earlier in October.

But, I did get to see several Grandma Moses paintings including some I had never seen before.  Her needlework was also on view.  I don't remember seeing those items before but apparently I just missed them as they have been on display before.

Unfortunately, no picture taking is allowed in the Grandma Moses Exhibit so I have none to share with you.  If you have never seen any of Grandma Moses' paintings, please take time to google them.

They are primitive pictures of an earlier time of life but for most, including me, they bring a smile and warm feeling.  Probably, they invoke a collective memory of what we wish life was like...a simple, less hectic time.  But, of course, that is not reality.  I imagine folks were just as concerned about life and living then as we are now.  Still, I just smile and smile as I look at each painting.

I discovered one element that I really hadn't made note of before. She used glitter in some of her snow scenes. It lent such a unique feeling of life and freshness to the painting that I was surprised. Might have to try that in one of my paintings!

It was very overcast while I was in Vermont and there were some snow flurries but I managed to get some photos of fall foliage...



Bare trees silhouetted against the skies bring their own beauty...

And fields that look grey from a distance have far more delicate color...

I have several more photos to share but I will do that over the next several posts.  One thing that I do want to share with you is a book that I purchased at the Museum titled "At Grandmother's Table: Women Write about Food, Life, and the Enduring Bond between Grandmothers and Granddaughters" edited by Ellen Perry Berkeley.

One comment that really struck me because it's so obvious that no one really says it...that basically, we are all grandchildren.  Think about that for a second.  No matter how old you are, you are a grandchild to someone.

I'm old enough to think of myself as a grandmother...but it takes me by surprise to think that I am also a grandchild.  That's probably because my grandparents are long gone. But that doesn't mean that I am no longer a grandchild. It's a comforting thought to me. It places me in a line of folks that I love. It also gives me a longer view of life and my place in it.

Anyway, the first chapter included one of my favorite foods...fried tomatoes and gravy.   Guess what I am making for supper?

Well, that's all for today...
Thanks for dropping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...