Friday, December 9, 2016

A CHRISTMAS VILLAGE, CHRISTMAS TREE SHOPPING & A HAPPY VILLAGE SAMPLE

A CHRISTMAS VILLAGE
I love Christmas Villages...I have four of them. They range from the crocheted village under the tree to an old, old set that my grandma used to set up to a couple different ceramic ones. Below are pictures of one of them.


And some close-ups...




As you can tell, I mixed houses from a variety of places. First there's the Scrooge Village, then several pieces made by a very good friend, and finally, the school house which my mom gave me many years ago because she was actually a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse!

CHRISTMAS TREE SHOPPING
Last weekend I did go Christmas Tree Shopping with two of my sons. One son wanted a live tree, so off we went. We discovered a wonderful place called Hidden Pond Tree Farm (organic). The trees were $50 and up. They provided saws, a way to transport the trees down to the main area, they trimmed the trees, put them in a protective wrap and even tied them unto the top of the car. Since we were going to stop at a few other places, we managed to get the tree inside!!!

They only allowed so many cars in at a time so the place isn't super crowded but the wait was only about 20 minutes. Once in, there were either cut trees or we could cut our own from a vast field. This is only a small portion of one field...

There was free cocoa...

Free marsh mellow roasting and free hayrides. One of places to roast marsh mellows is shown below in the front area. Behind the trees you can see folks getting ready to go on a hayride...

They had cut trees as well as wreaths for sale also...


I have to say that all three of us had a great time and want to do it again next year. Oh, and the tree is up and decorated in my son's home. I helped him get it straight. Memories! Setting up live trees in stands can be frustrating but we got it standing straight and tall.

HAPPY VILLAGE SAMPLE
I finished the top of my Happy Villages sample for the meeting tomorrow. Remember the background?

This is the sample so far...

To finish the piece, I will add a net, low loft batting and a back then machine quilt it with clear thread. 

I realized after it was done that I do not care for the white fabric with black circles. It looks okay in person, but I see on the photo that it does detract a bit from the rest of the houses. I will have to remember to audition my fabric a bit better.

Well, today was moving day for Lady J, so I ventured out and finished my Christmas Shopping for things that need to be mailed. Guess my Sunday will be spent wrapping and getting boxes ready to mail on Monday.

So how are your plans coming? I hope that you are taking your time to enjoy making all the preparations. For me, I am listening to music, watching Christmas movies and taking a bit of a respite from all the political news which I can only describe as unsettling.

Thanks for visiting...
Have a great weekend...
Talk to you on Monday...