Tuesday, March 28, 2017

SHOTS AROUND TOWN, ENERGY & STAMINA & SOUTHWEST LANDSCAPE

SHOTS AROUND TOWN
I attended a group called Auspicious Stitches on Monday and thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the accomplished artists, craftspersons, professors, etc. They meet at a Manhattan Library for the Blind on west 20th street so I got off at the 23rd street exit from the R train.

This was one of the first sights that greeted me. These are being planted all over this area. 

There's a park across the street from the subway exit...Madison Square Park...and it has the most unique statue. Take a look...


On the way to the library I took a couple pictures of unique buildings. I really do enjoy all the different architecture in this city...

It was a rainy, cloudy day which is why the pictures look so dark. When I left, I went back to the subway only to realize that all the entrances for a downtown train were closed! So I walked down to Union Square at 14th street. Of course, I wound up going to Barnes and Noble (my downfall) and picked up a couple magazines which I will share tomorrow.

There were lots of vendors set up on the Square which surprised me because they are usually there on Fridays. Lots of beautiful plants, some vegetables, lots of greens and pork?.

I didn't have my walking shoes on so by the time I got home, I was exhausted which leads me to the next topic...

ENERGY & STAMINA
I think that any type of illness or surgery when one is older takes more out of a person than most folks think. I feel I am reasonably healthy...I try to walk a minimum of fifteen miles a week, exercise at home for strength, agility and mobility...eat fairly balanced meals, etc.

But I am still tired as can be and feeling a bit under the weather although the surgery was a couple weeks ago. Yes, I know that the time change didn't help. And the fact that I have not been able to do anything but gentle walking has lowered my energy levels and my stamina. (I have to say I was surprised at how fast both of these declined.)

Guess one has to adapt to life's little changes...whether one wants to or not!!!

SOUTHWEST LANDSCAPE
Well, I gave up on the arch. I tried doing one every which way but none looked good. So I took the 'rocks' I made and used them in different arrangements. You will notice I also finished the bottom portion of 'sandy' landscape.



In the end, I went with the less is best...

I stitched each section to the canvas using a topstitch on the edge with black thread. I think I will add some features as I quilt the piece (machine stitching). Once I begin that, I think I will try for another southwest landscape that is a softer, fussy cut landscape rather than the building block type like the above piece.

I have to say that I do like this piece, though, and am happy that I decided to build the landscape in this style.

Well, that's all for today...
The "We're Still Kicking Quilters" will return next week...
Thanks for stopping by...