Wednesday, March 29, 2017

SOUTHWEST LANDSCAPE, READING, WRITING & ARITHMETIC & MAGAZINES

SOUTHWEST LANDSCAPE
It took a while but I finally found a fabric (from my stash) that I liked for the border of this landscape...

Nothing was working for this photo. The light was terrible, and I didn't want to risk getting on a latter to shot down for the picture which I normally do. So, if it looks a bit cock-eyed, that's why. I realized however, once the border was on I didn't like the plain sandy part of the landscape so back came the 'rocks''...

I haven't sewn them on yet but I am growing to like them more and more. I want to sew them on before I begin quilting so that will have to be my next decision, and soon...very soon.

READING, WRITING & ARITHMETIC
Remember those from school...

So, I've been helping a friend analyze writing styles...it's been an interesting experience reading two different stories about the same subject matter. I haven't done this in eons. I think the last time I did it was back in college.

Anyway, I realized that there is a very distinct style of writing that I really enjoy...and vice-versa. I always wondered why I gravitated to particular authors and particular genres. I guess I just like their style.

And right now, listening to Plato's 'Republic' (for a North Carolina Online Class called "The Soul and The Search for Meaning", and no this is not about spirituality), I realize that this style of writing is definitely not my cup of tea. But, for some reason, Plato's 'Republic' is compelling to listen to. I can't say the same for Plato's 'Timeous', though. I definitely slogged through that one. But I did, however, enjoy his 'Phaedo'.

And as for arithmetic, it's more like calculus and physics...Yiks...what am I doing? Well,  I have been reading so much about quantum physics lately that I wanted to find out a little more about the subject. I found a basic introductory class, however, after reading the reviews of folks who have taken it, I realized I needed to bone up on both those subjects...argh...all I really wanted was a basic understanding, folks. This looks like it's going to be much longer endeavor than I originally intended. Believe me, I have forgotten more calculus and physics than I remember. But, it's all good...and it gets my mind working.

MAGAZINES
Yesterday, I let you know that I stopped by my favorite book store and picked up a couple magazines (another downfall of mine).
Two were creative...

Quilting Arts is a staple for me and this issue didn't disappoint. I wasn't familiar with the other magazine, Creative. It's a UK magazine with some really excellent articles including great photos.

The other magazine...

Womankind, is a favorite of mine. It's an Australian magazine and so the articles are international in flavor with all focusing on woman. A plus for me is that there's no advertising...it's chocked full of fine reading with articles from a very different perspective than what I am used to...

Well, thanks for dropping by...
I hope all is well with you...
Be sure to take some time for yourself this evening...