Monday, March 20, 2017

SOUTHWEST LANDSCAPE, TIME CHANGE & SURGERY UPDATE

NEW PROJECT: 
Well, I told you last Friday that I was working on a new project and this is it: A Southwest Landscape. I thought I would share my steps in creating this landscape.

First off, I like to have a foundation to work on and once again, I used a piece of painter's cloth. One thing you need to know about this material is that it ravels very easily so something has to be done to stop it. You can use either tape (I prefer duct tape over a packing tape because it sticks longer but you need to add to the size of the foundation.) or a zigzag stitch. I used the latter. Another reason I like painter's cloth is that it's easy to draw on (and erase, if needed.) So, this is my foundation piece with the general outline of my landscape...

The next step is to pull the fabric that I want to use in this landscape. I usually pull a lot of the colors but then I pare down to those fabrics that work together for my purpose. And, here is my fabric selection...

I may not use all of these fabrics but I have a big enough selection to choose from. I did forget one area...the sky.  So I had to go back and pull blues and grays in order to start this landscape.  This is because when creating a landscape, I always begin with whatever is furtherest away.  In this case, the sky. So here is the finished sky...

The next step was the background formations. I wanted these darker than the foreground so I chose these fabrics...

I used the same technique to sew these fabrics together as I used in the sky portion. In other words, lay the two pieces on top of each other, right side up on both, and using a scissors cut the seam as straight or as meandering as you want.  Next, using the two pieces that fit together, pin right sides together and sew. It does take a lot of pins but not using pins for me is not an option...

Once I sewed the fabrics together, then I cut them to reflect how I wanted the background to look


Here is where the two background pieces are going to be placed on the foundation...

Next I chose the fabrics I wanted to use on the middle portion of the landscape...

And, once again, I sewed the fabrics together in strips...

My original intention was to use this as a whole piece, cut to a particular shape, so I began with the basic shape...

Unfortunately, I did not like this...so, I decided to do what I did with the background formations. In other words, cut and sew together at different levels. I liked the results much better...

This is as far as I have gotten...next up, the open space between the two background formations.

NEW TIME:
I don't know about you, but I am having a harder time adjusting to this new time. It's taking me longer in the morning to get going and get my mind working. Talked to someone who told me that it usually takes them about two weeks to get accustomed to the new time. Okay....well, I hope it doesn't take me that long.

SURGERY UPDATE:
For many folks, this operation (cataract) is a breeze to go through. Although I am not saying that I have had great difficulty, it has taking longer for my brain to adjust and for my sight to become sharp. Each day does bring more clarity and once I get my new prescriptions for glasses I think it will be all good.

However, the restrictions on what I can and can't do are still in force. That is probably because I have had a partial retina detachment as well as being of Scandinavian descent. In case you are not aware, folks with Scandinavian heritage have a great opportunity to have retina detachments, macular degeneration and impaired vision.

So, although I can walk, I can't do any weigh lifting nor strenuous exercises for at least another three to four weeks. And that means that even my walking videos are too strenuous to use. Once the weather warms a bit, I guess I will do more walking outside...

Well, that's it for today...
Thanks for dropping in...
Have a great evening...