Tuesday, March 21, 2017

SOUTHWEST PROJECT CONTINUING, HIGH ANXIETY? TAKE A WALK!

Right, it's spring...passed me right by...course, I was busy with other things like listening to intelligence hearings! But, I wanted to perk up my blog with a bit of color so off into my photo bin I went and this is what I found. I love the automatic time, date and place stamp on my photos. This was taken last May, right here in my neighborhood!

SOUTHWEST LANDSCAPE
So this is where I left off yesterday with my project...

It's coming together quite nicely, I think. Today I finished the part between the two backgrounds. The fabrics I chose were these. They appear darker in this picture than the actual finished portion...

And, once again, I sewed them together but this time with very small strips of fabric and I kept it vertical instead of horizontal. Check this out...

When I took the time to really look at my work, I realized that different places came to mind for each section. For instance, the background reminds me very much of both the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. The front section on the left reminds me of Canyonlands and the latest addition reminds me of Brice National Park.

The next section to add will be an arch which of course reminds me of Arches National Park. I have yet to decide whether to cut it out of one piece of fabric or to use several pieces and build it like a rock formation. I am leaning towards the latter. The placement will be from the middle to the right so I will have to choose fabrics that stand out from both the dark areas and the bright orange areas. Another reason to build it with rocks.

After that, the only section left will be the foreground which will represent the sandy floor of the desert. And finally a border. The end is in sight!!! Well, not really...there's a lot of stitching to do.

HIGH ANXIETY?  TAKE A WALK!
Mental health experts are becoming more and more concerned over our national high levels of anxiety stemming from the chaotic political theatre that doesn't seem to let up. Individuals who remain in a constant fight or flight level of anxiety will certainly do damage to themselves both mentally and physically. Our bodies were simply not made for these sustained high levels.

While there's not much than we can do about lowering the level of political theatre, we can do something to help ourselves. Simply tune out. No, not indefinitely! But we all need a break. Another great idea is to take a walk. And that's what I did today. And I took a few pictures to show you what walking is like in my area.

There's a long expanse..almost two miles of walkway like this...

Block after block of benches. And this is what you see when you sit down...

The New York Harbor. If you look close, you can see a walkway close to the water. Here's one of the places to access that area...

The stairs lead to a walkway over the Belt Extension. And the walkway next to the water goes for a long way.  From the pier down around 60th all the way past the Verrazano Bridge to the Best Buy Plaza...several miles.

We still have snow...

But there are signs of spring...



Taking a walk not only perks me up, it relaxes me and clears my mind. And it's free...just stand up and walk out the door. I bet you can find treasures all around you by just taking a walk.

Once again, my eyes are signaling that it's time to stop...
Thanks for stopping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...