Monday, May 1, 2017

LILACS & AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO HANG COLLAGES

LILACS


On the walk home today in Brooklyn, I passed this lilac bush...it was really large and the branches were bending over the fence so I could touch the flowers. So I did the natural thing for me, first take a picture and second just breath in the fresh sweet smell of lilacs.

When I left this morning, I had a light t-shirt with a lightweight, long sleeve shirt over, open, like a jacket. It was cool and I debated about getting a lightweight jacket. I decided to go without the jacket and by this afternoon, I was happy about that decision!! The sun had returned and it was hot very humid. I also think we are expecting some of those storms that ravaged the midwest to hit here tonight.

AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO HANG COLLAGES

So, I promised an inexpensive way to display the collages like the ones I have been making. It all starts out with styrofoam...

This piece was approximately 6 inches by 12 inches which I cut in half...

Next, I took the base fabric and traced the size of the styrofoam on the back...

Trimmed...

Ironed to crease the sides and turned over right side up...

If you want to cover the back, I would do so at this time by repeating the steps above and then using glue, attach it to the back and sides of the piece of styrofoam. Check out below...

Now is the time to have fun creating collages. You can either sew them to the background or use glue. I do both. Here are the two collages I created this past weekend...


If you notice the edges of the fabric in the second photo, you can see that I fringe fabric to create a soft effect. Instead of throwing out the pieces of fabric, I use them in collages which you can see in the first photo. To attach the collages to the styrofoam, I glued the flaps to the edges

To finish the edges, I took a long fabric scrap strip, ironed the raw edges to the center, making sure it was the size of the edges, and then glued it. You can see the results below...


To hang you can add hangers...soda pop can openers are an inexpensive idea. Or, you can just pound a nail in the wall so that it doesn't stick out quite as much as the depth of the styrofoam and simply push the piece of styrofoam onto the nail. I have used a sewing pin and that also works well. And it doesn't leave a noticeable hole which is a bonus for those of you who are renting. Well, that's my inexpensive way to display the collages. Give a try sometime.

How was your weekend?
Get some rest and relaxation?
I did and hope you did also...
Thanks for visiting...
Talk to you later...