Tuesday, July 18, 2017

GETTING READY FOR EMPIRE QUILTER FUN WITH FABRIC WORKSHOPS - NEEDLE CASE

I remember taking this photo when I was in the southwest for the first time. The color was so vibrant and unexpected in the dry, windy, hot climate that it took me by surprise and I had to simply stop and take a picture.

So, yesterday was beginning to be a lost cause for me. I spent hours - literally - on the phone getting insurance quotes for Lady J and Duchess. What I learned was that there was a great disparity in cost and coverage which ranged from around a thousand (for six months); to $857 for Lady J (for six months)of the lowest liability coverage I have ever had someone give me a quote for; to $687 again for Lady J; to finally excellent coverage for the reasonable amount of $579 for both Lady J and Duchess, again for six months.

And, I can park Duchess at a storage place which is great because I already have one in Jersey for only $40/month...and they are open year round! Everything is signed, sealed and paid for so now I can move Lady J and Duchess into New York!

I took the time to work on Fun with Fabric Workshops for next year at Empire Quilters. A couple folks asked for gifts they could make and I have two ideas. The first is a needle case...


I made these out of felt and decorated them with crocheted flowers. I first tried sewing but found that it was really difficult to keep things straight, so I resorted to glue and hand stitching. But, it took very little time to put these together.

I cut the outer felt larger than the inner white felt 'pages'. I like felt because it has substance to hold the pins and needles. Here are the first and second 'pages' of each book...




For the third 'page' I first glued it to the back inside cover. I then glued the pocket unto the bottom around three edges and in the middle. By giving the glue time to dry, it sticks well and give some substance to the case. Here are the two last pages...


By the way, you can order the needle threaders through Amazon ($2 for 100) but it does take a few weeks to get here.

I sewed the crocheted flowers onto the front burying the stitches by staying inside the felt. It sounds hard, but it really isn't. I also stitched the binding. Glue in this case didn't perform very successfully. The red case is closed by an adhesive backed Velcro Dot, cut in half.

If you're looking for a gift for seamstresses or quilters, or even students, this is a very easy, inexpensive but great little gift. By the way, I crocheted the flowers myself and they also are quick, easy and I find crocheting them very relaxing.

Well, that's it for today, folks...
Thanks for stopping by...
Stay cool...