Wednesday, October 18, 2017

WE'RE STILL KICKING QUILTERS - MEETING EIGHT

The 'We're Still Kicking Quilters' is a group of six quilters of a certain age who have been close friends for many, many years. They are involved with each other's families including the joys of weddings and babies as well as the sadness of losses. As we meet these wonderful ladies, they are in the midst of planning a wedding as well as being part of a quilt show. Through these two activities you will learn about each of the members. But as these events come to a close, a new adventure with many twists and turns is about to begin with the advent of a quilt shop.

(Note: If you're new to this wonderful fictional group of quilters, read the first seven installments by clicking on the 'We're Still Kicking Quilters' in the side panel.)


WE'RE STILL KICKING QUILTERS - MEETING EIGHT
Ida Rose was looking around, checking to make sure that the room was ready for the quilt group. Feeling that everything was in fine shape, including the buffet of left-overs from the wedding, she sat down with a plop, sighing and smiling at the same time.

“Have you survived?” I asked, entering the room.

“Yes I have. In some ways, it seems like a faded memory and in others, like it happened, well, just yesterday.” she replied.

“Well. Ida Rose, in case you've left the building, it was just yesterday!”

Ida Rose laughed and shook her head. “Yes, it was just yesterday. It was a beautiful, simple wedding.”

“It certainly was, Ida Rose.” Martha Kerine said as she entered the room.

“I've set up the buffet table with left-overs for us today. I figured that we could just help ourselves whenever the desire for munchies hit. Lord knows, Martha Kerine, you managed to bring enough food to feed an army.” Ida Rose replied.

“Well, I didn't want anyone to go away hungry.” Martha Kerine countered.

“Oh, Ida Rose, Jenny's wedding was beautiful.” Wanda Kay said as she bent over to hug Ida Rose. “That simple princess style gown of embroidered satin was gorgeous. I'll have to ask Jenny to give sewing lessons at the store. That's not an easy fabric to sew with and I bet there are others who would like to make their own wedding dress.”

“That's an excellent idea, Wanda Kay.” Elsie Jean said as she too hugged Ida Rose. Looking around she added, “I figured we would be helping you clean up everything, Ida Rose, but it looks like it's all done.”

“Well,” Ida Rose began, “I knew I would be tired so I hired some high school students to help put it all back together. Money well spent, I must say. They really worked hard and the place was in order within four hours and that included the dishes washed, the furniture put back and the back yard cleaned up.”

“Where did Jenny go on the honeymoon?” I asked. “Any ideas?”

“Yes, they went to the shore. But I don't know any of the particulars.” Ida Rose responded.

“Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hungry so I'm going to get something to eat.” Wanda Kay said to no one in particular.

“Munchies hit already, huh, Wanda Kay?” I asked as I joined her to fill up my own plate of food.

Anna Mae walked in as all of us decided that the munchies had hit. “I see we're already at the feeding trough” she said, laughingly, as she put down her quilting bag and joined us. “I don't blame you. I had a couple platefuls yesterday at the wedding and still didn't get to taste it all.”

“Hello, Anna Mae,” Ida Rose welcomed. “I think most of us will be grazing today. At least I hope so. Like I said, Martha Kerine had enough food to feed an army so there's lots left.”

We all filled up our plates, got something to drink and found a place to sit down and enjoy the bounty. None of us reached for our quilt bags!

“So who set up your music, Ida Rose? It was just perfect. I loved the piece that Jenny walked into the garden with. By the way, Daniel's idea about the sliding door in the dining room was a great one.” I said.

“I'm not sure which part but the actual wedding music was from Four Seasons by Vivaldi. The background music was a mix. Actually, one of Anton's high school seniors (Jenny's husband Anton was a high school teacher.) set up and took care of the music for the entire wedding. He had speakers tucked all around the yard and the house. How he managed to hid the wires is beyond me.”

“Maybe they were blue-tooth and didn't require wires.” I said.

“Blue what?” Anna Mae asked.

“It has to do with electronics, Anna Mae,” I replied.

“Well, leave me out of it then. I can just about manage my smart phone at this point.” she shook her head as she took another bite of food.

“Jenny really wanted a do it yourself, small, simple wedding and I think she got exactly that...” Ida Rose replied.

“She did with the added bonus that it was a beautiful wedding.” Elsie Jean added.

We all shook our heads in affirmation as we quickly emptied our plates. Ida Rose was right. Martha Kerine did arrange for enough food to feed an army. And, it was really, really good food. You could call it down home cooking with a special twist...kind of what one would do when serving to guests.

Anna Mae finally spoke up, “Well, how did Jenny like her quilt?”

“She cried.” Ida Rose said after swallowing a mouthful of Waldorf Salad. “She knew all of you helped me create and make the quilt and that made it even more special. She asked me to thank you today promising that she would get in touch with each of you when she got back. Maybe she'll even join us quilting.”

“That would be very special.” Anna Mae answered.

“Oh, the cake, Ida Rose. How did you hide it from Jenny? If I didn't know better, I would have said you took part of the quilt and made it into a cake. It was absolutely perfect. The flowers were not only just like the quilt but they were the same color.” Elsie Jean exclaimed.

“Making it wasn't too bad. It all came back to me...kind of like muscle memory. But hiding it from Jenny was another thing. Every time she wanted to see how it was coming, I had to come up with an excuse. I think she finally got the hint and stopped asking. But, you all remember how surprised she was when she saw it.”

“I don't think her smile could have gotten any wider when she saw it, Ida Rose.” I said. “And when she ran over to give you a big hug, I think all of us were in tears then.”

“I had tears all through the wedding and afterwards,” Anna Mae said softly. “It was like a beautiful ending to a wonderful life...”

“Ending? Anna Mae?” Wanda Kay asked.

“You know, our little group's last child.” Anna Mae replied. “We've each been there for all the children's wedding and Jenny's marks the last one.” Anna Mae then added laughingly, “Unless, one of you is expecting!”

“Well, you're right, Anna Mae,” Martha Kerine continued, “Jenny is the last wedding for our children. But, as Gert said, the next round will be our grandchildren. So, I think our weddings will continue and knowing us, we will be in the thick of things.”

By this time, all of us had gotten up and refilled our plates with more food from the buffet.

“It's a good thing I decided not to worry about my diet today.” Wanda Kay exclaimed. “If I didn't know better, I would think that you made sure all the food was fabulous just to ruin our waistlines, Martha Kerine.”

“So whose dieting? Aren't those day's over” Ida Rose asked.

“Speak for yourself, Ida Rose. I'm still trying to get rid of the weight from my first child.” Elsie Jean laughed.

“That was a few years ago, right Elsie Jean?” I asked practically choking on my last bit of food from laughing so hard.

“Oh a decade or so, give or take a couple.” Elsie Jean laughed.

“Martha Kerine, this salad is wonderful. Who made it and can I get the recipe?” Ida Rose asked.

“I made it myself, Ida Rose.” Martha Kerine replied. “I can't quite remember the whole recipe, I'll have to look it up and send a copy to you. I think the fact that I roasted the nuts made a big difference as well as finding really sweet seedless grapes. I also used mandarin oranges as well as fresh pineapple.”

“I want the recipe also, Martha Kerine.” I added. “You may as well bring it to the next meeting for all of us. This is one salad I will be making on a regular basis.”

We all shook our heads in agreement. “Okay, I'll bring it with me next time...enough copies for all of you.” Martha Kerine replied.

“And I will bring the pictures of the wedding with me.” Ida Rose added.

“That would be great, Ida Rose. A nice addition to our quilting.” I said. “Changing subjects, how are the plans coming for the Fall Festival?”

Elsie Jean responded, “All the classes are worked out, thanks to the Grange. The committee to hang the quilts has borrowed several large tents to display the quilts in. That way, if it does rain a bit, those quilts will be protected. But, they are also going to line the walkway using quilts with permission to do so. I am giving them permission to display one of my quilts on the sidewalk but two of them I want under the tents. Right now they are looking for quilts to line the sidewalk with.”

“I sure don't mind a couple of mine lining the sidewalk.” Anna Mae said. “A little rain won't hurt them. But have they decided how to keep little hands off the quilts?”

“Yes,” Elsie Jean answered. “They are going to post quilters every ten feet. That way they can also answer questions as well as hold up the quilts for folks to take a closer look.”

“That's right,” I said. “I have volunteered to work on the sidewalk area for a couple two hour sessions. And I have two quilts available for display on the sidewalk area. I think that we have enough to line the entire sidewalk from the parking lot to the bandstand in the center area.”

“Are all the groups ready to set up?” Martha Kerine asked.

“Yep, including the carnival rides.” Elsie Jean answered. “I really think this is going to be an annual affair, if the crowds come out. Everyone is looking forward to a successful event. And with the added draw, I think everyone will make enough to come out on top. I know we are only asking for donations, but I think most folks won't mind contributing a few bucks. We will have donation places set up in several areas so they can't be missed.”

“Be sure to have someone watching the donation buckets.” Anna Mae suggested.

“Don't worry, we have folks assigned to hand out information as well as watch the donation baskets.” Elsie Jean replied.

Every single quilter got up once again and filled their plates. No one. Absolutely no one opened up their quilt bags to work on quilting projects. A first for our little group. But it was a nice change of pace as we all took our places and continued chatting. You have to do that sometimes. But you all know that yourselves. So I guess I am preaching to the choir.