Friday, November 10, 2017

A TRADITION REVIVED - LUTEFISK AND POTATO SAUSAGE

Who would have thought that 50 degrees was cold? Well, it is here. I guess because the sky is full of dark clouds and the wind is up. Yesterday it was so bright and sunny that 50 degrees was warm. Today I am cold. What a difference a day can make!!!

So, did you decide to take care of yourself and make an appointment for a mammogram? I hope so.

When I leave here next Wednesday, I will be traveling to the Twin Cities in Minnesota to visit family. It hit me this morning that I will be in Minnesota in late November and I broke into my happy dance as the commercial says.

Why, you ask? Because it's November in Minnesota and that means that I will be able to purchase some lutefisk and potato sausage!!!  Lutefisk and potato sausage?

Well, let me tell you the back story...when I was growing up...in a Swedish family with American Swedish traditions...we always had pea soup, potato sausage, boiled potatoes, lutefisk, rice pudding and lingonberries for Christmas Eve supper. Nope, no Swedish meatballs!!!

Now, I said American Swedish traditions because most Scandinavians wouldn't be caught dead eating lutefisk. But we American Swedish folks hold on to that tradition for dear life!!!

So what is lutefisk? It's a white fish that has been air dried and then reconstituted first in cold water, then in a cold water and lye solution...yes, I did say lye!  It is white, translucent, kind of slimy and smells to high heaven!

But I love it...of course, it is drenched in melted butter...but I do love it. Thus, my happy dance. I now in the proud owner of a really good, large, cooler. So just before I leave for NYC, I will pick up some lutefisk and potato sausage, pack it into the cooler with a ton of ice and bring it home.

Wonder how the other folks in my apartment complex will react to the smell when I cook the lutefisk?

Thanks for dropping by...
Talk to you later...