Tuesday, May 1, 2018

INTERESTING MORNING & TRYING OUT A NEW PAINTING WITH FABRIC TECHNIQUE


Yes, we have tulips. These were outside my apartment building yesterday. So, today is sunny but not that much warmer...at least not in my apartment. I have a sweatshirt and heavy jeans on and the only thing keeping me from putting on the throw is a cup of hot tea!!!

So today has been quite interesting.  First of all, I think I mentioned that I was looking to buy a home upstate. Close enough to take the train in a couple days a week. I just finished up getting my pre-qualification letter. Took most of the morning. Everything is done on line now (with the exception of the phone calls).  A lot different than the last time my husband and I purchased a home eons ago...literally about forty-one years!!!

I did manage to try something new in my painting with fabric trials.  I began yesterday by taking two inch squares like this one...

Cutting off the edges, saving the small pieces

Then fringing the piece, again saving the fringed thread...

I started out by laying the fringed pieces of fabric around a center, continuing until I had a piece about eleven inches in diameter.  Then I took the small pieces and added them to the outer edges. After that, I took the fringed thread and pulled it apart and laid small threads all over. Finally, I free motion stitched it completely and thoroughly.

This is the result...

I enlarged it so you can see the detail.  I can see some different patterns and areas where a color is more pronounced but there is more continuity than there was with just the separate pieces showing.

I like it. Not sure what I will do with it. Maybe cut it into smaller pieces and add it to other creations. Or, maybe add something like a piece of felted wool roving. I really just wanted to try it out and see the results. By the way, I didn't use any glue to hold things in place. Just kept patting it down as I was stitching and everything held just fine.

Have you ever tried something like this?  If not, it's a great way to use up scraps!

That's it for today...
Wish me luck on my house hunting...
Thanks for stopping by...
Talk with you tomorrow...