Monday, April 1, 2019

CIRCULAR WEAVING & A HARD DECISION...


Well, the beginning of another week is at hand and I am still trying to figure out what happened to last week.  Saturday was the sunny, warm day that I asked for...Sunday, raining and cold.  Today, just cold and windy...but it is sunny.

I literally played hooky this weekend from any news (a weekend habit now), cleaning (well, I did straighten up a bit), shopping (just a little grocery shopping - we were out of a couple items) and cooking (the chef cooked this week.  He loves the Instant Pot. He made wonderful, fork tender, corned beef in a couple hours.) 

I did read a lot and played around with an old craft...circular weaving.  A great way to use up scrap yarn.  I made the loom out of cardboard using a very large baked beans can for a template.  If you make one remember that you need an odd number of slits.

I made three weavings using embroidery thread as the warp and scrap sugar 'n spice yarn for the weft.  Because I had so many slots the middle of the weaving was rather thick.  Check these out...



On the top two, I added a braided edging.  I left that off the bottom.  This is a great craft for kids of all ages.  I would make the number of slots smaller.  Just remember to make the number odd.

I came to a major decision this past weekend concerning one of my favorite groups...the Auspicious Stitchers.  They are located in Manhattan and meet weekly.  I really wanted to continue with the group but,  quite frankly, I just can't justify the costs.  The cheapest way in would be by bus and that's $32 round trip.  The Train is more.  And by SnowWhite, well the costs are well above $50. 

And those prices are just for travel into Manhattan, not any subway costs, or incidentals, etc.  It would add up to $1664/annually for just the travel into the city by the cheapest method.  On a fixed income, that's a big chunk of change.  A month and three quarters worth of rent.  So, I have sadly decided to only attend occasionally. 

I am going to continue with my participation in the Empire Quilt Guild, though.  It only meets once a month for ten months and I do love leading the workshops.

Hope the weather is getting better where you live...
Thanks for taking the time to stop by...
See you tomorrow...