Tuesday, June 11, 2019

PLANTING HAS BEGUN!


Today was beautiful...sunny, light breeze, warm but not hot and, best of all, no rain!  So, after giving the house a quick once over (guests coming), I spent a bit of time outside beginning to plant the impatiens.

First, I took off the cardboard which I have now been putting around the tree trunk in the circular garden.  Then pull any weeds that survived around the edges of the cardboard.  Next digging a hole for the plants, sprinkling in some fertilizer and mixing it around before planting the flowers.

Once I planted several plants I placed copy paper around them.  The first time, before I got the paper wet and the dirt on it, a big wind came along and scattered about a dozen pieces.  After that I wet each paper as I put it down.

 Here's what it looks like so far...

The directions suggested planting these flowers about 8 to 12 inches apart so that's what I am doing. I planted some peppermint at this end and will do the same at the other end of this area.  I will also be liberally spreading mulch around as soon as the boys bring it down.  (The landlord has a ton and said I could use as much as I wanted.)

So what did I learn from this little exercise.  Boy, am I out of shape for this activity including keeping my balance.  Tomorrow I will be using better shoes.  But when getting up and down my knees were really screaming!  Getting old can be challenging.

I hope to finish this area tomorrow and begin planting the herbs and veggies in containers.  Rain is scheduled for Thursday.  The above garden will be finished but the circular garden will have to wait for a couple of days with the cardboard tamping down weeds.

I have enough impatiens for both areas and I can probably plant a container for the front with the leftovers.

Here's todays Haiku:
Finding your bliss in
Creation leads to many
Minutes of comfort.

Thanks for dropping by...
See you tomorrow...