Tuesday, August 16, 2022

August 16: Summer Enjoyment


Another fine day in the neighborhood!!!  Good day to work on packing.  Unfortunately, I don't feel much like doing anything today.  Do you ever have days like that?  

It's getting down to the odds and ends and I feel like simply chucking them into one big box and sorting it later.  So, instead, I thought I would take a few minutes and write my blog.  Maybe once all the boxes are in the pods and there's enough room to move around I will feel more like sorting/packing.  The pods are coming tomorrow!!!

Today's focus is nature and with fall racing toward us, I thought that it might be a good time to take some time and look for natural things to dry out for fall decorations.  I especially like to look for weeds like milkweed pods, cattails, grasses and small branches.

If they are not completely dry, hang them upside down in a dark place until dry.  To prevent cattails from bursting in the house, once dry, I dip them in a glossy medium.  I also empty the milkweed pots before bringing in.

To make wreaths, cut vines or very small branches and weave into a circle the size you want intertwining the vines/small branches before drying.  I like to make large ones for each outside door and one or two smaller ones to use in the house.

Using dried herbs not only looks nice but adds a faint aroma.  Dried fruit like apple or orange slices are also a nice addition to wreaths both in looks and aromas.

Look around and see what you can use for fall decorations.  I am always surprised at what I find just by walking in the neighborhood.  

Talk to you tomorrow....