Wednesday, March 29, 2023

March 29, 2023. Journal Making Elements

A beautiful day, bright sunlight and warm temperatures.  A day that promises spring flowers as the earth smiles!

Today's post will have lots of pictures about making journals.

When I picked up the mail a couple days ago, there were several window envelopes.  I had seen several YouTube videos about using these envelopes in journals so I decided to try.  

First I cut the envelops into two pieces making sure that there was an equal amount on both sides of the window.  I then cut off the flap and any excess paper to make the top opening straight.  Finally, I covered the front of the envelope with scrapbook paper cutting out the area around the window and leaving enough paper to fold to the back on three sides (Not the top opening) and glue using a craft stick glue.  By folding the decorative paper to the back the cut side was closed.  On some, I used washi tape to decorate.  I also inserted decorative paper in the envelope so that it would look nice when the tag was removed.  Here are my envelopes, ready to use...

Rather than throwing out the rest of the envelope, I also covered them in the same manner as above with the exception of cutting out for the window.  This gave me several more pockets for tags...


Once I realized that it was nice to have elements ready to make pages, I decided to make up several pages.  For these, I took two decorative sheets of scrapbook paper, placed wrong sides together and glued together using craft stick glue.  If needed, I then trimmed the pages.  And then I sewed around the edges of each using a zigzag stitch..


Next, I decided to make some note pads both with and without a cover.  I used card stock paper as a base, covered with decorative paper.  I cut pages the appropriate size, stapled them together and added to the card stock base with glue, covering the staples...

Next I made some folders each that has space for six tags.  There are many variations of these folders on YouTube.  This is the one I choose to make...

Finally, I made several covered paper clips to use in the journal.  These are not hard to make, just a lot of paper folding.  There is a paperclip in each of the pieces in the picture below.  Check out YouTube to find out how to make them...

What I found out beginning with the window envelopes is that it is nice to have the journal making elements all ready to use when I am ready to create a journal.  And if it works for journal making, then maybe it will work for my other crafts.  Something to think about.

That's it for today...

Talk with you tomorrow...