Wednesday, July 31, 2024

With forecasts of 99, one digit off from 100, is there much difference?  Hot is hot regardless of humidity!

I have been crocheting snowflakes for the tree.  Something to keep busy when I'm watching tv or game playing.   We may only have lights and snowflakes on the tree next Christmas!

Another thing I have been doing is needle felting.  A friend of mine makes large felted items like purses and other containers using the felting via water method.  I like small things and less mess so I do needle felting.  A kit from Amazon doesn't cost much and contains everything needed.

Check this out...


It contains needles from large to extra small.  I use the large needle in the single needle holder (By the way, you can change needles out for others with the above holders.)  The large needle can help place and hold the fiber.  The three needle holder has medium needles and the holder with lots of needles is the smallest needle that I use to finish.  

The pad with a piece of black felt is what I use to punch the fibers down.  This one is nice but it does become compacted after long use.  I like the wool mat, two inches thick, better.

A lot of fiber (40 different colors) comes with the kit and although it doesn't look like much, very little fiber is used with needle felting.  Other things in the kit include leather finger protectors and scissors and an awl.  

The needles are extremely sharp so this is a hobby that requires attention to safety and probably not good for children.  I like to make pin backgrounds like these...

...onto which I will attach an enamel charm.  For instance, on the orange round shape with is about 1/2 inch thick, I will add a fall colored leaf.  I also like to add a finish like a gold rope around the edges.    Then I will add a pin closure on the backside.

You can also make small 3D things like animals or teapots, etc.  It's a fun hobby that takes very little space (Everything can be kept in a shoe box!) and the more you do it, the more intricate items you can make.

If you're looking for something new to try, give needle felting a try!

Have a great day...

Talk with you tomorrow...