Friday, August 16, 2024

Another week done and dusted!  Where does the time go?  

Today is one of the warm days...90 degrees...and sunny.  But the next days are in the mid 80's.

I made, or at least tried, to make some roasted vegetables but they did not turn out well.  I used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and onions, tossed in olive oil along with some seasonings. At home I would roast them at 325 for a couple hours and they turned out beautiful.  Here, they were tough and not done after 2 and 1/2 hours!

I didn't realize that altitude affected roasting vegetables.  I knew that it did affect baking.  The suggestion was to roast them at much higher temperatures...400 to 425 degrees!  I am going to try roasting again at these temperatures to see how they turned out.

So, I did decide to make a 'Happy Villages' raw edge landscape.  I completed the background...

But I had a problem.  I sewed down the background pieces with invisible thread (regular thread in the bobbin).  The problem was that no matter what I set the tension to, the fabric gathered as I sewed.  I had to add lots of thread at the end to work out the gathers.  As you can see, the gathers ironed out well.  But it was frustrating.

I have cut out several squares and rectangles for the houses...

...but I need many more.  And then all the triangles, step shapes, etc.  If you have never made a 'Happy Villages' landscape, google 'Happy Villages' on YouTube for a tutorial.  And then have some fun.

Any plans for the weekend?  I think we are going to a craft fair on Saturday which should be fun.  It may not be like the fall festivals back east, but it will be something fun to do.

Find something in your area to attend...a local fair, a festival, a concert in the park.  And if you can't find anything, have a picnic or go on a nature walk.  Get out of the house and do something fun.

Talk with you on Monday...