Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Late night, very early morning!!!  I stayed up and watched the debate last night.  Then, for some reason, I woke up in time to catch 'Way Too Early' this morning followed by 'Morning Joe'.  Now that may not seem too bad until you realize that 'Way Too Early' starts at 3:00am out here!

Another 'almost Fall Day' again.  It's only 61 degrees right now but very cloudy and a high forecasted around 80.  

Yesterday was errand day.  I needed several small things but also some additional clothing.  Everything I packed was for a hot summer and now with temperatures falling, I decided to pick up some sweatshirts and pants, a couple long sleeve shirts and a sweater...all in muted fall colors.  I also made an appointment for SnowWhite to have her checked over as well as regular maintenance services done.

Do you read magazines?  An interesting fact about readership is that 31% of Millennials say they read magazines weekly.  That's compared to 21% of Gen X and 19% of Boomers.  It looks like magazines may have a comeback.   It does depend on the type of magazines though.

I like to read magazines about either crafts or lifestyles that come out fewer times per year but have no ads. They are expensive although even those with ads cost considerably more.

One magazine that I am reading right now is 'Flourish:  Wise Ideas for Living Well'.  I have found that each short article has some special nugget of information.  The latest one I've read is on Pilgrimages.  The pilgrimages they are focusing on are not necessarily religious but places where one goes that has special meanings.

The Cambridge English Dictionary defines sacred as 'considered to be holy and deserving respect'.  Sacred has evolved into a much broader meaning today.  And 'holy' derives from the Old English 'halig' meaning healthy and wholesome.

With those meanings in mind, I realized that my annual trip to the Bennington Museum in Vermont is really a personal pilgrimage.  I go there to wonder at the 'artist' who created the 'Dear Jane Quilt', but even more to enjoy and smile at the paintings of Grandma Moses.

I now understand that these trips ground my understanding as well as my love of this life I am living.  Add to the museum enjoyments the fall colors and the sharp fall air and the total infuses me with renewed energy and creativity.  I always come home with ambition to explore ideas and the the simple understanding that to enjoy my life, I must live it rather than observe it.

I hope that each of you has a place to go to feel that renewed energy.  Trips to the ocean are important to a large number of folks.  Other's find walking in the woods important.  And others find just sitting outside with a cup of coffee enjoying quiet moments important.  Find your 'pilgrimage place' and go there as often as you can.

That's all for today...

Talk with you tomorrow...