Friday, September 6, 2024

You all know that I love football and last night's game, the first one of the season, was a breath of fall fresh air to me.

Yes, I equate the advent of football with fall which, as I have said many times before, is my favorite season of the year.

And there's a game this evening also so I will be doubly happy.  Saturday will be filled with college games and Sunday with NFL games.  You could say that I am a football addict!

Today is walking day instead of core and strength exercises day.  I missed my step goal by 200 steps yesterday so I am going to make sure that I go 200 steps beyond my goal today.  The older I get, the more important it is to keep moving...hope you are doing the same.

I did a lot of reading yesterday as well as had several zoom meetings but I did manage to get a few things made.  Mostly with yarn...


The snowflakes are smaller ones that I will use as another garland for the Christmas Tree.  If you're wondering why I am making so many snowflakes it has to do with the loss of the tree ornaments from the fire at the house.  This year's tree will probably only have new lights and snowflakes on it, but that's okay.

I am also making some decorations like the tree above.  I took a piece of cardboard similar to a cereal box, formed it into a cone and secured with tape.  I then wound yarn three times to cover it completely.  I also added some batting to cover the circle of cardboard I attached to the bottom...

Now I want to decorate it but haven't quite decided how.  I am thinking of winding some gold thread around it first and then maybe crocheting some tiny snowflakes to add as ornaments using crochet thread rather than four-ply yarn.

Have you heard of author Bess Streeter Aldrich?  She was a Nebraska well-known author (1881-1954) for both novels and short stories.  One of her stories, "The Silent Stars Go By" was the basis for one of my favorite Christmas TV Movies.

The movie is called "The Gift of Love" and starring Lee Remick, Angela Lansbury and Polly Holliday.  Apparently I was not the only one who loved the movie because the producers finally created a DVD of it for sale.  (I purchased mine from Amazon.)

Well, one of my children gifted me with a couple of her books and I have enjoyed reading her stories.  They are simply heart warming, life experiences rather than fast moving mysteries.  And you know what, maybe those are the stories we need to read right now as there's so much upsetting emotional and political upheaval going on.  Just a thought...

Well, I have put off my walking exercises long enough.  Have a great weekend.

Talk with you on Monday...