A few more of the trees across the road are beginning to turn. Not sure if the warmer temperatures will have any effect on the leaves turning but at this stage, I don't think so.
I guess it's time for me to plan my annual trip to Bennington to see the Dear Jane Quilt and Grandma Moses Paintings. I live so close, that it's a day trip only...it's less than two hours away!
I have been so mixed up this week with all that's been going on that I missed a regular zoom talk! Talk about things being out of sync! Next week we should be back to a normal schedule...at least I hope so!
So, today I was going to show you how to make an inexpensive notebook. I will show you how to make a cover first and then Monday I will show you the different ways to include the paper.
You can use just about any heavier paper/cardboard for the notebook cover from regular cardboard, to the thinner cardboard in cereal boxes, to magazine covers and plain or decorated card stock...
Next, cut to the size of the notebook you want. You do need to double, and glue together, the thickness of any cardstock paper including the magazine cover unless it is unusually thick...
From now on, work with the cover unfolded, in other words, flat. Pick out some decorative paper to glue unto the cover. It could be wrapping paper, the brown packing paper, or you could even cover with a collage from magazine pages or an old paperback that is no longer used. When cutting, be sure to leave enough paper on all sides to glue to the inside of the cover as shown...Here's the outside of the covers...
And here's the inside of the covers...
Next, cut a piece of paper large enough to cover the inside...At this point you may want to fold the notebook cover...DO NOT FOLD! The glue needs to complete dry or the fold on the inside is messy. I suggest that you leave it overnight before folding in half. However, there are still things you can do with the cover unfolded.
If you want to add a pocket to the inside front, cut a small piece of decorative paper that fits in the area plus 1/2 inch all around. Fold the top 1/2 inch portion down and glue. This will give the opening extra strength. Then fold as shown below...
Apply glue to the 1/2 inch folded portions only on three sides and then place it in the inside front cover...I added pockets to all the notebooks...
Finally, you can decorate the front if you want. I used both washi tape and strips cut out of magazine pictures as well as both stickers and tiny pictures, again cut out of magazines and attached with glue. You can see the different items I added to the covers...As a reminder, let the covers dry unfolded overnight for best results. On Monday I will share the different ways to add paper and a closure if needed.
Any plans for the first weekend in October? Those fall festivals are probably still going on. Apple or pumpkin picking is always a lot of fun even if you only pick a few...just getting out and walking around the orchard is fun especially for kids of all ages (and I do mean ALL ages!). Find something fun to do for fall.
Decorate out side...have you ever stuffed old clothes with leaves to make a scarecrow? Or made a fall wreath out of pinecones to hang? Or placed some dried corn stalks along with a pumpkin at your front door?
Not interested in decorating outside, then how about taking a walk at a local park, or even just around the block? Remember, winter will be here sooner than expected and those outdoor temperatures may be too cold to venture outside.
Have a wonderful weekend and do something unexpected...
Talk with you on Monday...back to normal (I hope)!...










