We're still trying to dry out from the nor'easter that visited us this past weekend and what is arriving shortly today...yep, more rain!
So today is the first day of October and that means a new word for the month and a new challenge. I like the idea of 'gathering in' for fall. I always imagine creating a cozy home, harvesting the last of the garden produce, family meals around the table, less outside activities, etc.
I chose the word 'collect' for this month because in a way it does have a similar meaning as gathering but even more, it brings to mind collections. Collections of colorful leaves, children's drawings, happy memories both new and old, warm feelings, etc.
And so, as I was thinking about the word for the month, I thought that it naturally lead to the challenge of collecting memories...memories of something that you do or experience. Perhaps it's a tree in your yard that has turned an especially beautiful color. Or maybe the smell of a favorite fall fragrance. It could drinking a great cup of coffee outside on a cool morning or the face of a stranger smiling. In other words, small ordinary, everyday life experiences.
However you carry this challenge out is up to you. Perhaps all you want to do is acknowledge that special memory before retiring to bed. Or you may want to jot it down somewhere or even draw a picture of the memory. The object of this challenge is to help you slow down, even as time seems to speed up, and make note of the little things that you experience on a daily basis.
For me, I am making a tiny notebook with just enough space to either write down a few words or draw a quick picture. But then, I love making these notebooks.
And speaking of notebooks, do you realize that small notebooks are really a great gift. You can make them very simply or even purchase inexpensive ones from bargain stores and decorate the covers to make them more personal. They make great stocking stuffers and/or multiple gifts for friends. Add a pen or pencil and the gift is complete. And best of all, these gifts do not add to clutter, they are useful.
I know it's early to start thinking about gifts, but with the economic situation that many of us face, starting now to make and purchase needed gifts is prudent. You won't have to purchase last minute more costly items. Tomorrow I will share the easy technique of making a notebook so you can get a head start.
That's it for today. I hope you have a great one...
Talk with you tomorrow...
