Monday, January 9, 2012

Poetry and Mixed Media, Oh My!!!

So, I told you that I signed up for a couple year long workshops on journaling and mixed media.   And, of course, they led to other workshops and classes...

Sometimes I think that I might have taken on a bit too much, but as my words point to...this is a year of discovery for me so onward I'll go...at least, I'll attempt too!!!

First, I have to show you my bookends...

Of course, Chip woke up when I snapped the picture looking quite unhappy...

So, back to my mixed media experience.  This is from the free Strathmore Online Classes, yes I did say free.   The object is to build up in layers.   I'm about halfway through the process so far.  First a layer of watercolor over a thin layer of gesso.   That is followed by stenciling with acrylics and finally doodling with acrylics.   Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I am enjoying the technique...



Poetry is another experience that I have been introduced to.   I am writing a poem about my life and am working one of the stanza's into a page with doodling.   This time I'm using Permacolor Markers over a wash of green acrylic paint.   I'm not finished with the page, but this is what it looks like so far...


I found a couple of sites you may want to check out:

Christine Kane has a free e-book - The Complete Guide to Vision Boards.   Very interesting.   You may want to give it a try.

At 'A Creative Dream' blog, you can find a tutorial on how to make spikey balls out of paper.   It's apparently an old craft but really, really neat.   Check out the January 1, 2012 post for all the information.

Thanks for visiting.   Enjoy the game tonight...Alabama vs. LSU...