Thursday, August 7, 2014

DUCHESS' WELCOME SIGN AND PAPER MACHE

So how was your day?  I hope you had a great one...maybe enjoying the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.   Not too many of those days left.   September will be here before you know it so these are really the last days of summer.   Don't get me wrong...I love fall more than any other season with it's great foliage, football, state fairs, and hay rides.  But this summer seems to have slipped by a bit too fast.

FALL WELCOME SIGN FOR DUCHESS
I haven't quite finished this project, but I have a good beginning. First, I sorted out my fabric to find fall colors.   At one time I was going use a twelve patch arrangement of the fabric.   But then I realized that fall foliage is not organized. It's just a mass of brilliant color.   So I decided to just cut out pieces and glue them on to the canvas panel.

I used Mod Podge when applying the fabric as well as giving the finished layout a complete coat. This sign may get wet so I wanted to make sure that it was sealed.   First I gathered the supplies: Fabric, Mod Podge, Artist's Brush, Scissors and Art Panel...

I then randomly cut out shapes and applied them to the canvas panel using the Mod Podge. And this is the finished background.   One Note:  I cut the side pieces long enough to wrap around and glue to the back to finish the sides.  I will be cutting out the letters to spell 'welcome' and applying them with Mod Podge after which I will give the entire piece another coat to make sure it is protected...













PAPER MACHE CHARGE SLIPS:
Remember that this is one way to get rid of those documents that you don't anyone to get their hands on if you don't have a shredder.   I added about couple tablespoons of tacky glue...

I could have put the mixture in a blender to get a smooth consistency, but I choose not to. I put the mixture in a strainer, and then grabbed small lumps, placing it on a piece of aluminum foil, forming a rectangle about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick, patting it into place.

Next, I took a sponge and pressed it on the mixture removing as much water as possible.   Once I finished with the sponge, I used old towels to soak up the rest.   Now it's a matter of time while it dries.   This is what it looks like now...

I want to use it as a background to a multi-media picture...lots of ideas are running around my mind!

JOURNAL PAGE
This is my background for this week's journal page.  I do have an idea as to how I want to finish this page, just haven't figured out how to do it...


JOY TALLY 
The tally for yesterday and today is 11.   Again, I am only counting those times when the joy I felt was remarkable.   One experience was a simple thing, but when I put on my new glasses and could see so much better, I was really, really, really joyful.   It's funny how a small change in my eye glass prescription could make such a difference.  So, how's your tally doing?   I hope you're smiling!

Thanks for dropping by...
See you tomorrow...