Tuesday, January 20, 2015

MY FIRST ART ADVENTURE - MOMA

After I took pictures of my new apartment last Friday, I took the subway back to Grand Central Station in Manhattan and walked the fourteen blocks to MOMA...The Museum of Modern Art. Check out the inside and outside photos...


I picked up my annual membership...

And went right in to see the Exhibit of Matisse Cut Outs.   The lines at MOMA are long, very long.   The price of admission is $25.   The price of a basic membership is $85.   If you are going to MOMA more than a couple times, it really is cheaper to get the membership.   There are a ton of benefits such as skipping the line and going right into an exhibit, free lectures and videos, discounts at the cafe and store.

Of course, you can get in free on Friday afternoon/evenings but the line wrapped around the block when I left last Friday...long, very long.

I couldn't take pictures of the exhibit...not even covert ones.   There were multiple guards in every room.   The exhibit begins small, seemingly insignificant, but with each succeeding room the pieces become larger and more complicated.   I was totally amazed.   This is one exhibit that I will be going back to see several times.

I did purchase some postcards and took pictures of them to give you a bit of the flavor...



Some of the pieces were almost larger than life...12 by 5 feet and 10 by 8 feet and even larger.   All were colorful.   I really liked the feeling the exhibit provided:   Playful, colorful, childlike, brings a smile to your face type.

I know that many analysts try to find deeper meanings to pieces of art.   And that's okay.   But me?   I like to enjoy my immediate response.

For instance, whenever I see a Grandma Moses primitive piece, I smile.   Don't ask me why...I just love to look at her work.  It brings to mind a simpler, happier time.   And yes, I know that is all in my mind.   But that's okay because it's what I experience that counts to me.

Each of us has to find what pieces of art bring them joy.   Can you imagine the great adventures you'd have on that quest?

I won't be going to Maine until next week.  A good friend has a birthday celebration this Friday and I didn't want to miss it.    So, things will be a bit later than anticipated, but I'm still excited about moving into my new place.

That's all for today...
Thanks for visiting...
'Je suis Charlie'...
Talk to you later...