Friday, April 21, 2017

NEW DOOR DECORATION, SEWING TO GO BOX & WEEKEND PLANS

NEW DOOR DECORATION

I don't think I posted this before but this is what I put on my apartment door for summer. I did have the Welcome Fabric Collage sign on, but decided to change. And although these silk flowers look beautiful in the picture and in real life, this is probably their last year. I've had them for several years now and most of the stems and leaves look pretty worn so I just took out my trusty glue gun and took the flowers off the stems and glued them to an old styrofoam wreath, also on it's last legs. Who knows, I may get another season out of them but if not, I have well gotten my money's worth out of the flowers because I purchased them at the end of the season when they were dirt cheap! 

SEWING TO GO BOX

After I finished my morning chores, I decided first to clean up my studio area before beginning another fabric scrap example. Well, one thing led to another...am I the only one who winds up doing this...and the next thing I realized was that not only my studio but my sewing to go box was in complete disarray. Thus, I decided to straighten that up because I use it every Monday now when I attend Auspicious Stitches. 

My box is really an old stationery box that I picked up off the bargain shelves at Barnes and Noble at least a dozen years ago...

There was a heavy plastic covering over the stationery. I simply turned it upside down and placed it in the bottom of the box. By the way, under the ribbon above is a hook and loop fastener. The only other thing I did was to cover the outside of the box with a good grade of contact paper. The one I used had a frosted effect. And, it has stood up well all this time.

Because this is sewing to go box, all the work is handwork. First up were my nine-patch squares. I have about twenty done so far...

Followed by my charm size fabric...

And then my larger pieces of fabric which I roll rather than fold. This helps a lot if I want to use the fabric but don't have access to an iron to take care of the wrinkles caused by folding...

I have a ton of one inch squares and I have sorted them into colors. I know, I know, a little too organized!!!

So in went the one-inch squares plus thread and scissors...

Finally, the completed work. I am working on a folk art piece with different size blocks and pictures...

The top of the box has an elastic web and that's where I keep my pins and needles in my pin cushion, plus a few of my 'business' cards for my blog...

WEEKEND PLANS

I am excited about this weekend. Tomorrow I will be going to the 2017 NYC ARTEXPO. It's at Pier 94 on the west side of Manhattan. The easiest route is the R Train. (Let's hope there's not a repeat of last Sunday! I checked the weekend subway updates and there's not supposed to be!!!). The Expo is big and crowded (A bonus for me!) with lots and lots of artist's displaying and leading workshops. I plan on being there all day. Hopefully, I can snap a few pictures here and there.

I hope you have great plans for the weekend...
If not, make some, even if it's reading a favorite book...
Thanks for checking things out here...
Talk to you later