Saturday, August 26, 2017

SUMMER VACATION WITH LADY J!!!!


I took this picture in Heber, Utah while getting a treat from the Dairy Keen store. Love their caramel sundaes!

So, I thought I would just check in and update everyone about the continuing saga of Lady J and Duchess.

First, Duchess: She cost about $1,000 to get ready for travel. I had expected about $600 but more had to be done. I'm not too upset because she has been sitting for almost 2 years, so a little more maintenance was needed.

But, Lady J has really had a run of bad luck. After the new transmission was installed, she worked just great. But the day I was leaving, she acted just horribly...not shifting well, engine misfiring!!! Long story short...some animal like a raccoon or possum had pulled down and chewed up the wiring harness.

I was able to get it repaired but the repair didn't last. The warning lights came on when we were at Cheyenne, Wyoming. I found a mechanic who repaired it again and said that we should be able to get to Park City and then get a permanent fix or a new wiring harness ($1,000).

Well, I took it to a Ford Place in Park City and they were able to completely fix the harness so that problem was solved. However, when they were checking things to make sure all was okay, they discovered that the transmission had been improperly installed.

The result? The seal not just broken but destroyed and the Pig Tail ($727) was broken. After talking with the transmission folks, they will reinstall but I will have to pay for the pig tail. Unfortunately, they really didn't have time to do it anytime in the next couple of weeks.

So, after discussing with everyone, the Ford place (whom I really trust) will make the repairs and I will pay them around $4,000 (total bill including harness repair) and the transmission company will reimburse me for the re-installment and seals about $2,000.

Someone suggested that maybe I should consider getting a new car but these two problems were really flukes. I have never had a wiring harness wrecked by an animal, nor have I had problems from a poor installation. Neither were because the car was not in good condition. So, I will keep Lady J.

My vacation plans have changed because of the repairs. I was planning on leaving yesterday, but now will have to wait until Lady J is done...hopefully by Monday.

I hope everyone is enjoying the last of the summer vacation days...
Thanks for checking in here...
Talk to you later...